A King’s Invitation
Mark 1:14 ¶ And after John had been taken into custody, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of God,
15 and saying, "The time is fulfilled, and the
- The language of invitation by a king.
- The Gospel of God and preaching
- The time is fulfilled
- Man’s Duty: Repent and Believe the Gospel
- God’s Mercy
- The Gospel of God and Preaching
William Tyndale: the gospel is glad tidings.
‘The Gospel signifies good, merry, glad and joyful tidings that makes the heart of man glad and makes him dance and leap for joy.’
The gospel is a message of good news that is preached.
- The Time is Fulfilled
Personal testimony and Revelation 3:20 and the reality of God’s punishment and hell.
Now is the day of Salvation.
The biblical imperative of Today: Today if you hear God’s voice do not harden your heart.
Do not worry about tomorrow.
Builder’s dream: Wayne Jacobs.
3. Repent and Believe the Gospel
Calvin “The gospel contains nothing else but repentance and faith.” (Ezek: II: 174.)
Change of mind; illustrate Gordon Brown with biblical repentance.
Mind is the entrance to the heart, ‘hearts and minds.’
Acts 20;21 solemnly testifying to both Jews and Greeks of repentance toward God and faith in our Lord Jesus Christ.
Aim is toward God not sin but we need the work of the Holy Spirit.
Assurance; explain Romans 10:9, maybe there are people who are saints but feel the need for a dramatic experience before assured of salvation. Ask yourself questions from Romans 10:9.
Ac "He is the one whom God exalted to His right hand as a Prince and a Saviour, to grant repentance to
Comment on ‘You must be born again!’ This is not a gospel imperative; explain.
Thomas Watson, explaining repentance:
- The sight of sin
- Sorrow for sin
- Confession of sin
- Shame for sin
- hatred for sin
- Turning from sin
Calvin; “Repentance throws men downwards and faith raises them up.”
- The Mercy of God
Gifts of God: Repentance, Acts 11:18, 5:31.
Faith: Ephesians 2: 8-10
Romans 9: 14-18
What shall we say then? There is no injustice with God, is there? May it never be!
15 For He says to Moses, "I WILL HAVE MERCY ON WHOM I HAVE MERCY, AND I WILL HAVE COMPASSION ON WHOM I HAVE COMPASSION."
16 So then it [does] not [depend] on the man who wills or the man who runs, but on God who has mercy.
17 For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, "FOR THIS VERY PURPOSE I RAISED YOU UP, TO DEMONSTRATE MY POWER IN YOU, AND THAT MY NAME MIGHT BE PROCLAIMED THROUGHOUT THE WHOLE EARTH."
18 So then He has mercy on whom He desires, and He hardens whom He desires.
God does not have to accept you, need to be broken in repentance and cry out for mercy in desperation. Childbirth is not generally painless.
This is a charter for personal evangelism.
Repent and believe the gospel.
The Danger of delaying repentance:
- The time is fulfilled the kingdom of God is at hand.
- Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your heart. Do not deceive yourself by delaying, cf. Sales offers.
- Thomas Manton “Whoever delays his repentance does in effect pawn his own soul with the devil.”
- Thomas Watson “by delay of repentance, sin strengthens, and the heart hardens. The longer the ice freezes, the harder it is to be broken.”
- Thomas Fuller “You cannot repent too soon, because you do not know how soon it may be too late.”
There is nothing better than being a Christian.