Saturday 19 April 2014

Reading good books nourishes our faith

We are all different but ever since my conversion I have had an insatiable thirst for knowledge, especially Christian knowledge. I know and appreciate that Christianity is not simply reading books but what a joy to read an excellent Christian book. We all have different seasons when sometimes there can be book after book which nourishes your soul and then times, well, what can I say? It is as if the books in your hand are a little dry and they do not have the same penetrating grip upon you.

I have been a little dry season in recent months regarding extra personal reading and nothing has been really gripping me. However, two books that are currently blessing my soul are Greg Beale's book called "The Temple and the Church's Mission" and another book by Richard Gaffin, "Resurrection and Redemption".

I remember reading a book about the life of an 18th Century preacher called William Grimshaw and he said: "Read the best books, keep the best company and hear the best men". What books do you read, what company do you keep and who are you listening to?

1 Corinthians 15:33 "Do not be deceived: “Bad company ruins good morals”.

No comments: