Wednesday 30 December 2015

The Writings and Sermons of Rev John E. Marshall

Have you ever heard of John E. Marshall? For most Christians the answer will be a resounding "no!". Let me introduce this lesser known both gospel minister, one from the 20th Century and just into the 21st Century (he died on the 29th August 2003). A faithful pastor and preacher.

I was introduced to his writings some months ago by a fellow minister in the same denomination as I serve. He pointed me to a valuable essay called "The Puritan Woman" by Marshall and this essay is found in a book published by the Banner of Truth called "John E Marshall: Life and Writings". It includes a biographical sketch of the man who ministered in the same church for over 40 years (Alexandra Road Congregational Church, Hemel Hempstead, UK).

Over the Christmas break, I read the transcript of his last sermon that he preached at the Banner Ministers Conference in Leicester called "Slaying Giants: A Sermon on 1 Samuel 17:42-47). I then read another transcribed sermon in his writings called "The Prophet Balaam". What struck me was that these sermons were distilled wisdom from a man of God who had walked with God over decades. How we need the wisdom of seasoned men of God in the church in our own day!

If you are interested in listening to sermons by this man, there is a website and the address is: http://jemarshall.org.uk/sermons/

1 Corinthians 4:15 "For though you have countless (ten thousand) guides in Christ, you do not have many fathers. For I became your father in Christ Jesus through the gospel".

Though I never met John Marshall, my impression is that he was a spiritual father in the church and how we need such men. Let us pray for the Lord to raise up quality men who are valiant-for-the-truth in our own generation.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

For about 7 years up until the death of the Rev John Marshall in 2003 I had the great privilege of being under his ministry. I was aware even back then what a blessing it was to be taught by such a godly man. In my opinion JEM is up there among the greatest preachers we have known or read about. Trish

Kevin Bidwell said...

Trish, I am sure that must have been a great delight. I spoke to Rev Ian Hamilton recently and he knew John Marshall well, and he spoke very highly of John's ministry as well. If you are near Sheffield, we would be delighted for you to worship with us at Sheffield Evangelical Presbyterian Church (www.sheffieldpres.org.uk), Kevin Bidwell Ps Let us pray for the Lord to raise up a new generation of men in the same vein as John Marshall.