Monday 30 January 2017

Al Martin "The Forgotten Fear"

I am so thankful to the Lord that as a young Christian I was introduced to the topic of the fear of the Lord. This is a theme which pervades all of Scripture. Indeed it is the starting point for long term discipleship as a true Christian and the starting point for public and private worship.

Deuteronomy 6:13 is cited by the Lord Jesus Christ who interprets fear as worship in Matthew 4:10.

Deut 6:13 "It is the LORD your God you shall fear. Him you shall serve and by his name you shall swear".

Matthew 4:10 "
Then Jesus said to him, “Be gone, Satan! For it is written, “ ‘You shall worship the Lord your God and him only shall you serve’ ”.


Could the contemporary worship problems of being man-centred be as the result of this forgotten fear being missing? What is the forgotten fear? It is the fear of the Lord. This was the distinguishing mark of Job and it should be of us if we are serious minded about the God of the Bible and the gospel of God.

Al Martin has done the church a service in writing this book and again, though I have just begun reading it, I commend it to you. If I can do anything to promote the fear of the Lord in my lifetime, I will. Fearing the Lord is one of my primary life pursuits and it has been a pursuit since around 1991 when I was first introduced to this biblical truth.

Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Psalm 111:10 "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; all those who practice it have a good understanding. His praise endures forever!".

No comments: