Thursday 26 January 2017

J C Ryle, "Prepared to Stand Alone" by Iain Murray

I have just received this book from my darling wife Maria for my birthday. We have been promoting it as the book of the quarter as a church and many people are telling me how much it has blessed them. I am promoting a book that I have not read yet, but I do know the author's other books which are all excellent. I know something of the life of J C Ryle, but the title alone is excellent; Prepared to Stand Alone.

In an age of Facebook likes, I wonder how many of those Facebook Likes Ryle would have got for his clear evangelical stand in his own day, had there been such a thing. Never-the-less, truth is unchanging and a stand for truth always requires resolute conviction based on the authority of the Bible. This is not fundamentalism. It is biblical Christianity. So I commend this book in advance and I may add further comments when I have enjoyed its contents.

It is published by the Banner of Truth.

Ephesians 6:13 "Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm". Note that it is all Christians who are to "stand firm" and not just Christian ministers. Are you standing firm for the truth? Could you be described as a Mr or Mrs Stand-fast for the truth?

No comments: